Sunday, April 15, 2018

Extra Credit: Annihilation


A few weeks ago Annihilation came out to theaters and the trailer was amazing enough to get me to buy a ticket.  A friend and I went, and I loved every moment of the film.  Loved it so much I had to look into the book serious I didn’t know about until my friend told me.
            Annihilation is the first part of a three book serious.  We follow the story though Lena, a biologist who volunteers in along with 4 other females with different career backgrounds.  The ladies journey into an area known as The Shimmer in the movie and Area X in the book, and go in to gather research and study.  Those who enter the Shimmer, never come back, but one solder who is the main character’s husband.
            One thing I kept asking myself, was why are these woman wanting to go in?  The message was very clear in the film to me, but some of my peers who also seen the movie ether didn’t like it or just didn’t understand it.  SPOILER ALRT!  In the film the story is about self-destruction and cancer.  However, in the book the story doesn’t give these women much reason for entering Area X.   In the ending of the film, it left me wanting more, the reason I went into looking to the book serious to find out what happens next.  But in book, the story is pretty blank and clear, everyone dies and Lena stays in Area X, not enough to get one to want to read the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment